Sunday 22 April 2012

Excited about reading- YES!

So today while we were just finishing up our literature circles one of my wonderful students came up to me and said, Please can I keep reading, I am at such a critical part in my book and I cannot put it down! This is just one of the reasons I love, love, love our collaborative literature circles. We base our literature circles on Faye Brownlie's method in Grand Conversations and Thoughtful Responses book. We have three classes of students, a grade 3/4 class, a 4/5 and my 5's that take part. Each teacher runs four different books. The students listen to our book talks one day and on a post it note write down their top three choices. We teachers then try to accomodate them as best as we can based on their reading levels and choices. Once we have our groups of 6 or 7 we hand out the books and then begin. Each day the students either have a discussion group, blog, or double entry journal to complete. They can move through the novels as quickly or slowly as they need to as long as they complete the criteria for each novel. At the end of the six weeks they have a choice of a final project. I have students that are devastated that lit circle time is almost up:(

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kendra,

    What were some of the books you used in your Lit circles?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete